How To Renew US Passport

If you have an existing passport and need to renew it, you can do so through the mail by filling out Form DS-82. You can do this as long as your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements listed below:

  • Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply for a passport in person using Form DS-11.

Submit your Most Recent US Passport

When you apply to renew your passport, you must submit your most recent passport with your application. Please note, your US passport book and/or card must meet all of the requirements listed above. Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you, but in most cases, it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Include Name Change Documents

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent US passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples listed below:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Please note, your name change document will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Provide a Passport Photo

You will need to also attach 1 photograph to the application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.

  • Passport Photo Requirements
  • Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view
  • You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
  • Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis
  • Taken in the last 6 months
  • Use a plain white or off-white background
  • Sized correctly (2x2 inches (51x51mm))
  • Head must be between 1-1 3/8 inches (25-35mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
  • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
  • Printed in color
  • You cannot wear glasses. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application
  • You cannot wear a hat or head covering. If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public
  • You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices
Can I remove red-eye from my photo?

Yes, you may remove red-eye. However, other digital alterations or editing is not allowed.

Can I wear a uniform in my photo?

You cannot wear a uniform, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire.

Please note, staple the photo to the application. Please use 4 staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edges as possible and please do not bend the photo.

Passport Renewal Fees

Below, we show the fees you must pay to renew your current passport. Include the fees in the form of a personal check or money order.

Product Form Application Fee
Passport Book DS-82 $110
Passport Card DS-82 $30
Passport Book & Card DS-82 $140
  • Make checks or money orders payable to "US Department of State"
  • Please print the full name and date of birth of the applicant on the front of the check or money order
  • Do not send cash. We are not responsible for cash sent through the mail

To see a full list of fees for additional forms and services, please see Passport Fees page.

Mail Completed Application

If you are renewing your passport from within the US, mail your completed application, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and fees, to one of the addresses below.

Only the United States Postal Service (USPS) can deliver to a Post Office Box. Please do not use other delivery services. It could delay your application.

Routine Service (If you live in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, or TX):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155

Routine Service (If you live in any other state or Canada):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited Service (additional fee applies):
Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

When mailing your passport application, please use:

  • An envelope large enough to fit the application without folding
  • Mailing by the United States Postal Service (USPS)
  • A trackable delivery method. The method used must be able to deliver to a PO Box address
Processing Times
Routine 4-6 Weeks
Expedited 2-3 Weeks
Expedited at Agency 8 Business Days

If you are trying to renew your passport from outside the United States then they recommend you contact your US Embassy and Consulate for how to submit your documents.

Can I apply at a Local post office instead of mailing in my renewal application?

No, if you are applying on Form DS-82, post offices will not take your application. You must mail in your renewal application yourself. They recommend using a trackable delivery method when mailing in your passport application.